winter time is tabletop baseball season!
today was time to give it a quick refinish for another season of gameplay.
A few years ago, whilst in the middle of one of my many tangents, i was on the computer looking for ideas to make new table top game for me and the boys when i stumbled on a dice rolling baseball game.
i liked the idea but thought the aesthetic could use a little enrichment.
the original one i saw was on a built made out of a simple pine 1 inch thick pine plank, and had some simple lines and a scoreboard.
i started with a round oak table table top that had survived a bar fire. it was about 2" thick, finish was bubbled and smelled of smoke. i removed the finish with an old jack plane i use for such occasions and then smoothed from there. i like the heft of a solid wood game.
squared up to the size i wanted and quickly went to creating bolder color fields for the playing surface.
i really enjoy design and the layout (as simple as it is) was extremely entertaining to create.
i needed to contain the dice when rolling
i wanted it to be easily replaceable, after all this game is meant for young ones that will be dropping it as some point. the mahogany trim was a quick solution.
there are two types of square cut nails used. one size if for the players and the other size is for the
mint tins make a perfect holder for the pieces and a place to put the directions.
with an old manual typewriter i applied to paper i made years ago and adhered to the mint tin.
i uses pigmented ink for the colorant. this ink is extremely lightfast and allows the grain to show through. plus this gave me an a color palate i wanted.