Adding new corked wood pads to the vice.
i would compare this to getting new tires. you just know there will be a smoother ride.
the new blocks compared to the old.
it is always the axe and hatchet heads that tear up the blocks the most. i keep using this vice because it is the easiest on the heads. the metal working vice doesn't cut it.
the wood flooring plank is left over from wood flooring i laid in the kitchen.
using the whole buffalo.
decided to increase the width so the block will hang over just about 3/8" on each side.
|old cork mangled to hell mostly from the axe/hatchet maintenance.|
the oak wood is prefinished so it needed some rough sanding and rasp scratches before i would be adding the glue.
there are two things to note here. one is that i glued both the wood and the cork before clamping together and the second is that i put a little strip of wax paper on the bottom to catch any drips.
|glue to both the cork and the wood blocks|
the final step before clamping is placing some wax paper between the cork. last thing i need is to glue my cork together.
it does not get any easier than the clamping procedure for glueing cork to the wood pads in a vice.
after i took this photo i wiped off the excess glue and then i will let it cure for 24 hours.
after that the vice will get a new handle.